Drapers Bluff, Illinois (IL)
Drapers Bluff, Illinois
United States37° 30' 53.28" N, 89° 2' 37.32" W
Just south of Marion, Illinois and echoing the sounds of the Shawnee National Forest, lies a beautiful landscape of sandstone and limestone called Draper’s Bluff. Once open to the public, this private bluff can now be accessed by paying a fee and opting for a guided climb. Climbers ranging from beginners to superstars all say that this bluff is worth the fee. The bluff is full of mixed-pro routes for beginning climbers to routes that will test just how comfortable you really are with being 100 feet up in the air hanging from a rock.
The owners of Drapers Bluff offer a variety of options for folks wanting to climb. Their programs are in two general formats: Technical Instruction via open-enrollment pre-scheduled classes and Guided Top Rope Climbing for individuals and groups by reservation only.
Climbing takes place outdoors at our private cliff, Draper's Bluff. Climbing routes range from 15-110 feet in height. They have enough variation of difficulty levels to accommodate all levels of fitness.Ages of Clientele: We are willing to accommodate any age. Attention span is a large variable in young children. For children under 13 years of age, we prefer that a parent is present, unless the child is completely comfortable with the adult chaperon that you provide.Guided Top Rope Climbing Times: A guided climbing day runs from 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with a midday lunch break for 30-45 minutes. Half-days either run from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., or 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.Reservations: Although they prefer as much lead-time as possible in reserving your dates, they will make every attempt to take care of short notice reservation requests.
- Bloody Nose- 5.6 (traditional)
- "C" variation- 5.8 (traditional)
- Dust Doctor- 5.8 (sport/traditional)
- Ant Killer- 5.9 (traditional)
- Book Shelf Blue- 5.9 (traditional)
- High Over Camp- 5.9+ (traditional)
- Blue Roof- 5.10 (traditional)
- Southern Exposure- 5.10 (traditional)
- Back to School- 5.10+ (sport/traditional)
- Never Pass a Chance to Get Pumped- 5.10+ (sport/traditional)
- Trial and Error- 5.11 (traditional)
- Cornbread- 5.11a (sport)
- Kittens 1st pitch- 5.12b (sport)
- Kittens 2nd pitch- 5.11b (sport)
- The Outline- 5.12a (sport)
- Samantha- 5.13a (sport/traditional)
- Smell the Coffee- 5.13a/b (sport)
- Son of a Preacherman- 5.13a/b (sport)
There is absolutely no camping at Drapers Bluff as it is private property.
Bed & Breakfasts (about 7 minutes away)
Twin Bluffs B & B
4425 Lick Creek Road, Buncombe, Illinois
Phone: (618) 658-5600
Valley View Cabins B & B
7025 Lick Creek Road, Buncombe, Illinois
Phone: (618) 833-6356
2.5 miles east of I-57, Exit 36, on Lick Creek Road.