The Trailer Park, Ohio (OH)
The Trailer Park is another bouldering area in Athens, Ohio. While you are driving from location to location in Athens you should look for the historic markers that are placed throughout the town. Athens County has a rich history. Formed in 1805 from part of Washington County, Athens County has experienced coal mining, pioneering education and so much more. Some of this history has been recorded on Historical Markers. These markers tell us stories from the past. They commemorate specific sites, events and sometimes even people. There are nine Ohio Historical Society Historical Markers and several privately erected markers in Athens County. There are about 40 problems in the Trailer Park, which is on city property.
Commitment Boulder- V2-V6 Up the hill to the right is this nicely maintained sandstone boulder.
- 8 Guys- V1 Just after the footbridge, this nice little warm up looks like a stalactite.
- Around the World- V6 Traverse this problem left and top out on the mantle.
- Bird’s Nest- V4 The easier version of Around the World, instead of topping out left, just top out.
- Commitment- V2 This is a fun problem with another smooth mantle finish.
- Daws Jaws- V2 A short route with nice pockets.
- Dope Nose/Three Times a Lady- V6 This overhung problem is slopey and quite challenging.
- Elephant Ear- V3 An easy problem with a fun top out.
- Long Duck Dong- V3 Long moves with a mantle finish increase the depth of this climb.
- Tarzan- V3 The start under the roof is nothing compared to the mantle.
- The Mantle- V3 One of the only jump start problems at the Trailer Park.
The Font Area- V0-V4
- Warm Ups- V0 This route holds some great beginner high ball problems and warm ups.
- Gut Buster- V2 A nice beginner problem that is a little tricky to solve.
- Over The Hill- V2 When you sit start this problem, be careful not to fall off the hill!
- Rodeo Dyno- V3 This climb has a great sit start with some super jugs along the way.
- The Font Arete- V3 The top out is quite slopey and a mischievous tree might trip you up if you aren’t careful.
- The Heads are Here- V4 The crimper on this route was demolished, creating an even more problematic climb.
- The Twist of a Nipple/Pinch a Prostate- V3 Standing start with a nice crack and a great slope.
Hammer Territory- V0-V2 This stellar rock protrudes obviously just about 200 yards past the Font Boulder.
- Can-you-pinch-it-traverse- V3 A nice pinchy cave with lots of variations for the top out.
- Hammer Time- V0 Start at the back of the boulder and make it over. Lots of great crimps.
The Mall Boulders- V1-V2 Sitting on the hillside, these two boulders hold secrets that are longing to be told.
- Deforestation Boulder- V2 This problem has a great mantle top out and is actually thought to be progressively getting steeper due to the fact that the rock is actually sinking.
- Sinking Arete- V1 A nice face climb.
The Ravine Boulders- V0-V2 Three small boulders with two great problems.
- Tilted Trailer- V0 The sloper edge leads out to a unique blunt corner.
- Muscles From Brussells- V2 A good climb with hard to find lines.
Silhouette Cave- V4 Up the hill and hidden in the trees.
- The Breakdown- V4 This is a fun little “cave” problem.
Trailside Boulder- V2 Lying right next to the trail, climbers cannot help but jump right on.
- Trail Side Arete- V2 A sit start under the roof can make this problem more difficult.
- Big Mama’s Arete- Not Rated This long standing project has not yet been conquered.
Happy Hills Campground
22245 SR 78
Ohio University Inn
331 Richland Avenue
Athens, Ohio 45701
From Columbus, take US33 to State St. Exit in Athens. Take a left at the stoplight just before Wal-Mart. Drive past a small trailer park. Parking is at the end of the road near the white barn. Walk up the trail bearing right where they diverge (left goes into Stroud's Run State Park). Rock and a few chalked lines will start to appear close to either side of the trail.